Research indicates that poor quality sleep impacts on all aspects of your functioning (e.g., physical, mental and emotional health) and stops you performing at your best. As you return to work it will be important for you to maintain good sleep practice that can support and maintain you to function at your best.
If you are having sleep difficulties, here are 10 important sleep hints that may assist in restoring your sleep balance. If you have no problem with the quantity or quality of sleep you are getting, while you can still use these as a guide they are not essential.
Top 10 Common Sleep Hygiene Tips (in no order):
- Establish a regular time for going to bed and waking up, and stick to it even on weekends and during holidays.
- Use the bed for sleep only; not for reading, watching TV or social media as excessive time in bed NOT sleeping can interfere with the sleep cycle.
- Avoid naps in the day or evening.
- Establish a regular bedtime routine. For example, brushing teeth, change into sleep wear, do something relaxing in the half-hour before bedtime.
- Keep the bedroom relatively cool and well ventilated.
- Do not look at the clock.
- Turn mobile phones / devices off!! Excessive use of electronic devices can interfere with you falling and staying asleep.
- Exposure to morning sunlight can help the sleep cycle.
- Avoid fluids just before bed so that sleep is not disturbed by having to get out of bed. Avoid caffeine and too much alcohol after 7pm.